Undergrad achievements & opportunities
Our group has good interest and records in working with well motivated undergraduate students either from our own School and the external on research topics that we know. We guide them to read literature, perform hands-on work, and write the research report on a selected and timely topic, such that they can make their little but novel and publishable contributions. We believe that a senior undergraduate, if willing to undertake exploratory and challenging tasks, is ready for research. With the above rationale, our group has produced the following research publications driven by undergrads:
- Dixing Xu, Mengyao Zheng; Linshan Jiang; Chaojie Gu; Rui Tan; Peng Cheng. Lightweight and unobtrusive data obfuscation at IoT edge for remote inference. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence Powered Edge Computing for Internet of Things. 2020. The work was completed when Dixing Xu was a final-year undergrad and Mengyao Zheng was a year-3 undergrad.
- Mengyao Zheng, Dixing Xu, Linshan Jiang, Chaojie Gu, Rui Tan, Peng Cheng. Challenges of privacy-preserving machine learning in IoT. The 1st International Workshop on Challenges in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Internet of Things, New York, NY, USA, Nov 10, 2019. The work was completed when Mengyao Zheng was a year-3 undergrad and Dixing Xu was a final-year undergrad.
- Hangtai Li, Yingbo Liu, Rui Tan. Covert device association among colluding apps via edge processor workload. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2020. The work was completely when Hangtai Li was a final-year undergrad.
- Qun Song, Chaojie Gu, Rui Tan. Deep Room Recognition Using Inaudible Echos. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), 2018. Part of the work was completed when Qun Song was a final-year undergrad.
- Stefan Selvarajoo, Schläpfer Markus Stefan, Rui Tan. Urban electric load forecasting with mobile phone location data. Asian Conference on Energy, Power and Transportation Electrification (ACEPT), 2018. The work was completed when Stefan Selvarajoo was a final-year undergrad.
For undergrads at SCSE of NTU, you may join us through FYP or the URECA program. For undergrads from the external, we have visiting student positions from time to time. We welcome undergrads who wish to pursue research careers to contact us. Please send the following three items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your CV with research or lab work highlighted;
- The latest transcript;
- Mandatory: A signed reference letter from your university professor or the e-mail address of a university professor who can comment on you.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.